Capacitors for the ZX Spectrum
Old electrolytic capacitors can dry out and fail so it's a good idea to replace them before damage occurs.
Click on the product thumbnail for an enlarged view.
Axial Electrolytic Capacitors For ZX Spectrum / Composite Video Mod Kit
A set of replacement electrolytic capacitors for the Spectrum 16 / 48 / 48+ (motherboard versions from 2 to 6A) and components for applying the optional composite video modification.
For ease of fitting, these capacitors are axial types (ie: they have a lead coming from each end) - the same format as those originally fitted to the PCB.
- 3 x 1uf 63v Axial
- 1 x 4.7uf 63v Axial
- 7 x 22uf 25v Axial
- 2 x 100uf 25v Axial
- 1 x 4.7uf Radial - for issue 2 boards that have had Sinclair's modification near C34 during a past service.
The exact number of capacitors required varies across the PCB revisions but there will be enough here for all types. Printed fitting notes are included.
The kit also includes the following components which can be used to modify the Spectrum's video output to give a composite video signal for a much improved picture:
- A 100uf radial capacitor (Passive style Composite video mod*)
- A BC549C Transistor (Active buffer style Composite video mod*)
* Both video mods give a composite signal from the standard Spectrum video connector, which is much improved over RF (with care, the mod can be easily reversed). The transistor version produces a brighter picture and buffers the output from the Spectrum video circuit, however, it may not work on all TVs. The passive (capacitor) mod is simpler and should work with all TVs but the picture is generally not as bright. Fitting instructions for both are included.
Ceramic 22nf Axial Capacitor for Spectrum Motherboard
- Glass encapsulated 22nf capacitor as used for supply decoupling around the Spectrum's RAM chips
- Unused, old stock parts (long obsolete).
Radial electrolytic capacitors for Spectrum 48 / Composite mod kit
Good brand (Panasonic etc), long life capacitors suitable for re-capping a ZX Spectrum 48K.
These are radial type capacitors (which have both leads coming from the same end) so one wire has to be bent over the body of the capacitor when fitting - see this photo for example. Please see my other Spectrum capacitor set for axial types.
The pack comprises:
- 3 x 1uf 50v
- 1 x 4.7uf 50v
- 7 x 22uf 25v
- 2 x 100uf 25v
And also includes the following components for applying the composite video modification if desired.
- 1 x 100uf capacitor
- 1 x BC549C transistor
Printed instructions are included.
A 100uf Capacitor
A small outline capacitor suitable for making the composite video mod on ZX Spectrums
Please see this article for details.